Specialist in Housing Credit Management
Credential Program Synopsis
This program will allow you to demonstrate your experience and expertise in mastering the complex requirements of the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program. There is a direct correlation between this credential program's level of rigor and the level of benefit reported by SHCM credential holders.
You'll learn about:
- Communicating LIHTC regulations and processes to applicants, residents, owners, auditors, and agency representatives
- Unit eligibility and calculating fractions, maximum rent and utility allowances
- Preparing for physical inspections, mapping a property and maintaining compliance
- Documenting income limits, developing recertification schedules and processing recertification
- Reviewing rent limit calculations, monitoring utility allowance revisions and applying the 140% rule
- Resolving noncompliance and preparing for audits
- Creating and managing records and retaining files and documentation
- Accommodating accessibility requests.
The SHCM® is offered in association with the NAA, the National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA), and LeadingAge.
Development of the SHCM® exam was based on an exacting process established for national certification programs to ensure the exam is a reliable and pyschometrically valid testing tool for its subject matter. NAHMA retained a well-respected third-party consultant to assist in this process. To learn how the SHCM exam was developed, view the full report. The test questions on the SHCM exam are reviewed and updated on an annual basis.
For the most up-to-date information on obtaining your SHCM®, visit the Specialist in Housing Credit Management® information page on NAHMA.org.
To obtain the SHCM credential, candidates must complete the following:
- Minimum of 12 hours of housing credit specific coursework or training from an approved provider* within two years of taking the SHCM exam
- Minimum of two years of housing credit management employment experience
- Successful completion of all SHCM coursework and exam
Enroll in the Program
Earn your SHCM credential in two different ways! You can sign up for the course with your local or state affiliate or join our four-part webinar series.
Option 1: Find a course at your local or state affiliate.
Option 2: Purchase the online SHCM exam prep course at www.gowithvisto.org.
Available beginning in June 2020.
Members: $549, Non-Members: $599.
For more information, contact Amy Allen.
Don't Forget to Claim Your Digital Badge!
Once you have earned the SHCM credential, you will receive an email from ProExam Vault with an invitation to claim your Digital Badge, which allows you to market yourself as an apartment professional with valuable skills.
Renewing your SHCM Credential:
SHCM certification is valid for one year and must be renewed annually each September. Renewal consists of six hours of housing credit specific coursework or training by an approved provider* per year plus renewal fee.
For more information about the Specialist in Housing Credit Management credential or to request an application, visit NAHMA. org or call the NAHMA SHCM Program Manager at 703-683-8630
*The Affordable Housing Management Associations (AHMAs) are approved providers; view a complete list of regional, state and local AHMAs. The NAA and LeadingAge and their affiliated organizations are also approved providers.
® Specialist in Housing Credit Management is Registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office