Credential Program Synopsis
Earning your CAPS takes you to the next level in property management. It fast-tracks your career advancement and your corresponding earning potential.
You'll learn about:
- Recruiting high-performing employees
- Employee performance, engagement, and retention
- Minimizing conflict through stakeholder communications
- Ethical behavior and conflicts of interest
- Annual operating budgets and owner performance objectives
- Property and portfolio results
- Due diligence process
- Property takeover process
- Capital improvement plans
- Managing risk through inspections, follow-up procedures, and incident reporting compliance
- Minimizing legal risk and liability
- Regulatory agency oversight of assisted housing
- Analyzing property performance data to inform action
- Management agreements
- Evaluating and reporting property performance using key performance indicators
To obtain the CAPS credential, candidates must complete the following:
- Minimum of 24 months employment as a multi-site supervisor or be either a CAM, ARM or RAM credential holder in good standing.
- Successful completion of all CAPS course work (totaling 40 hours)
- Pass the CAPS exam within six (6) months of declaring candidacy
Choose Your Program
The NAAEI Certified Apartment Portfolio Supervisor credential programs are scheduled by local and state affiliates.
Find a course at your local and state affiliate.
You can also earn your CAPS credential online on a schedule that works for you.
CAPS Direct allows you to earn your CAPS credential without completing the CAPS coursework, provided you fulfill the following criteria. CAPS Direct is also available to former CAPS credential holders who have allowed their credential to lapse for more than five years.
To qualify for CAPS Direct, candidates must meet two of the following three criteria:
- Hold a Bachelor's or Master's degree with a major, minor or concentration in property management or real estate.
- Hold a current CPM designation.
- Have over five years of experience as a multi-site portfolio supervisor.
Apply to CAPS Direct by completing the application below. The cost is $700, which includes the CAPS eBook and initial exam fee. The exam must be completed successfully within six months of enrollment in CAPS Direct.
Don't Forget to Claim Your Digital Badge!
Once you have earned the CAPS credential, you will receive an email from ProExam Vault with an invitation to claim your Digital Badge, which allows you to market yourself as an apartment professional with valuable skills.
Renewing your CAPS Credential
The CAPS credential requires annual renewal based on the anniversary date of completion. Submission of both annual CAPS dues of $100 and documentation of six hours of continuing education credits should be submitted to complete the annual CAPS renewal.
For more information about the Certified Apartment Portfolio Supervisor program, contact NAAEI at 703-518-6141 or your state or local affiliate.