The Education Conference is the premier source for educating professionals of all job functions within the apartment housing industry. In addition to our great education sessions, keynote speakers and Game Changer speakers, we wanted you to have a great experience. From our DJ greeting you at registration to our interactive art walls and life-sized game lounge, there were no shortage of things to do at the conference!
Get Focused. Get Inspired. Get Going.
New for 2017!
We had some exciting new changes and the return of popular programming from previous years including:
- A new block of education sessions on Wednesday (June 21)
- Living Room Learning returned on Wednesday with seven new industry folks who are passionate about their work
- NAAEI Leadership Experience Series: Powered by Dale Carnegie (details below)
- To round out Wednesday, we heard from Game Changer, Dawn Hudson, Chief Marketing Officer of the National Football League and former President and CEO of Pepsi-Cola North America
- On Friday, there were two Deep Dive Programs offering more in-depth learning consisting of two one-hour segments
- On the flip side, four Speed Round sessions at 30-minutes each gave you the “grab and go” experience for actionable advice (also on Friday)
For more details, review each session on the conference schedule.
NAAEI’s Leadership Experience Series: Powered by Dale Carnegie
Successful leaders are willing to adapt and improve team performance by sharpening their own leadership skills.
Deep Dive: No Time to Lead! Leading your Organization through Urgency & Change
Learn how to:
- Gain an understanding of where your team’s time is spent
- Identify ways to remain in the mode of leadership
- Apply tools to plan, organize and manage your team’s time
- Delegate effectively to realign time spend on your team’s goals
$799 SOLD OUT
This course was offered in conjunction with the NAA Education Conference and can be selected as an additional option during the normal conference registration process. For more information, please visit naahq.org/dalecarnegie or contact Kim McCrossen.
Atlanta Community Food Bank
As part of NAA's commitment to the fight against hunger and the Feeding America national network, we partnered with the Atlanta Community Food Bank (ACFB) to help feed people in need in our conference host community. ACFB distributes more than 58 million meals each year to 755,000 people across greater Atlanta and north Georgia. Because of generous contributions to date, NAA raised nearly $12,000 for ACFB! If you haven't donated yet, there's still time to help feed children, families and seniors facing hunger in our host community. Every $1 donated provides food for 4 meals.
Thank you to everyone who volunteered their time on Saturday, June 24 to help prepare food for distribution to local feeding programs at ACFB!
Executive Exchange Program
In NAA's continued effort to support emerging leaders, we are pleased to present a brand-new opportunity at this year's Education Conference: The Executive Exchange Networking Breakfast and Panel Discussion.
- When: Friday, June 23 from 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. (First 30 minutes for breakfast and networking followed by a panel discussion + Q&A)
- What: Upwardly-aspiring executives need a proactive strategy to position themselves to be first off the bench as opportunities for promotion to top leadership become available. NAA volunteer leaders will share lessons learned and other advice from real-world experiences to help rising executives advance to the next level. Attendees of the event will also have the opportunity to network with industry peers and C-suite leaders.
- Panel Moderator: Jerry Wilkinson, Chairman, Wilkinson Real Estate Advisors, Inc. (2015 NAA Hall of Fame Inductee and 2012 NAA Chairman)
- Brad Williams, Regional Vice President, Lincoln Property Company (2014 NAA Chairman)
- Cindy Clare, President, Kettler Management (2017 NAA Chairman)
- Rick Graf, President & CEO, Pinnacle (2017 NAA Secretary)
- Tom Beaton, Senior Vice President, Management, The Dolben Company (2015 NAA Chairman)
- How: The event is now full.
Additionally, there are four executive-focused education Breakout Sessions on Friday for executive-level (or rising executive-level) attendees to join.
- CEOs on CSR: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Change Doesn’t Kill, but Transitions Might: 12:45 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- Bracing for Impact: The Economists Speak: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Cybersecurity for CEOs: The Game Has Changed: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The NAA Exposition brought together the apartment housing industry’s top management professional and supplier partners eager to network, share ideas and showcase the latest products and services.
Hours: Thursday, June 22 from 2:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. and Friday, June 23 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Maintenance Mania®: See more details below about our National Championship at the conference.
- NAA Learning Zones: Connect with apartment industry professionals in an intimate and hands-on educational setting in the NAA Exposition.
- NAA Prize Vault: Try to crack the code of the Prize Vault for a chance to win CASH!
- Daily Scratch-Off Tickets: Stop by Ferguson Facilities Supply's booth #2831 on Thursday, June 22 to receive a scratch-off ticket for an opportunity to win the grand prize of $25,000!
- Daily food courts
Maintenance Mania® National Championship
Across the country, NAA affiliates host Maintenance Mania® events to recognize the top maintenance technicians in the industry. Winners from each affiliate got a chance to qualify for a spot at the National Championship. Nearly 1,000 spectators came out to watch these highly skilled maintenance technicians in this fast-paced race of skills and timing in the NAA Exposition on Friday, June 23. There were eight events, including a Pinewood Derby-style car race.
Congratulations to the 2017 National Champion, Jorge Blanco! This is the second consecutive year that Blanco won the title!
NAA Excellence Awards
The NAA Excellence Awards, or Excels, recognize excellence and leadership in the apartment housing industry. These national awards celebrate builders, industry professionals and affiliated apartment associations that make unique contributions to our industry. This year, NAA has added the Rising Star Award for young professionals.
Congratulations to all of our Excellence Award winners! For highlights of the event, check out our video!
NAA Social Hub
Let’s get social! The NAA Social Hub is your all-in-one resource center for all things social at the #NAAEDU17. From tips and tricks to grow your audience, to getting the 411 on the latest channels, NAA’s staff can help take your online presence to new heights.
Complimentary WiFi will be provided at the conference, and available in all concourses, lobbies and meeting rooms. Log-in information will be available on-site and in the Program Guide.
We’ve enlisted a social savvy group to help bring you coverage of the Education Conference. Thank you to our Social Media Ambassadors for a job well done!
- Jeremy Lawson, Reputation Manager, Fogelman Management Group
- Megan Orser, Director of Professional Development, Smart Apartment Solutions
- Tiffany Days, Director of Operations, The Communal Group
- Charity Ann Zierten, Director of Marketing, BG Multifamily
- Stephanie Loyd, Marketing Specialist, Blue Ridge Companies
- Kendra Morris Bork, CFO, Cambridge Management Group
- Jessica Olander, Executive Director, CTAA
- Morgan Miller, Technology & Social Media Specialist, Trio Properties
In addition to the great education sessions and impressive Exposition, the Education Conference offered a number of opportunities to network with industry professionals and peers in a relaxed setting.
- Attendee Lounge
- Interactive Art Wall: Available throughout the conference
- Welcome Reception: Wednesday, June 21 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- NAA Exposition: Thursday, June 22 from 2:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. and Friday, June 23 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- NAA Newcomer Breakfast: Thursday, June 22 from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. (Ticketed Event)
- Refreshment Breaks
- Thursday Night Party: Thursday, June 22 from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- NAA Awards Celebration Breakfast: Saturday, June 24 from 8:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.