Emotional Support Animal Member Toolkit Now Available to Members
Property owners have seen a significant increase in reasonable accommodation requests for emotional support animals in recent years and are concerned about possible abuse. While NAA seeks legislative and regulatory solutions to address member concerns, we felt it was important to provide members with resources giving practical guidance on this emerging issue.
In 2015, NAA organized a working group of members, affiliated association staff and attorneys specializing in fair housing to collaborate on resources to help members navigate this complicated issue; the resources are compiled into this toolkit, including:
- The NAA/NMHC Fact Sheet on Emotional Support Animals;
- Relevant federal guidance from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Justice;
- Answers to frequently asked questions;
- Scripts that owners may use in training their leasing staffs to ensure proper communication with residents on this issue;
- Sample reasonable accommodation and modification policies; and
- Sample documentation forms for residents, including instructions.
The Toolkit is available now!
For more information, please contact Nicole Upano, NAA, Manager, Government Affairs at [email protected].