Apartments Need Your Help
The COVID-19 pandemic is a crisis for both our nation and our industry. Apartments support 17.5 million jobs and provide homes for 40 million Americans – all of which is in jeopardy if industry needs are not adequately addressed in future COVID-19 federal relief legislation.
Knowing what is at stake, the National Apartment Association (NAA) has launched a grassroots advocacy campaign to urge Congress to include relief for apartments in the next phase of stimulus legislation. If you have any stake in the apartment industry – or even the broader economy – please take action and amplify the critical needs of apartments.
As outlined in the grassroots campaign, Congress needs to:
- Create an emergency rental assistance program for those who are impacted by the COVID-19 crisis and struggle to cover housing expenses.
- Better tailor the CARES Act eviction moratorium provision and safeguard owners’ ability to effectively manage their communities.
- Allow more housing providers access to mortgage forbearance and ensure fairness and flexibility in its terms.
- Provide financial assistance for property-level financial obligations such as property taxes or insurance payments and extend credit to multifamily mortgage servicers.
- Expand the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program to include all multifamily businesses.