- Current NAA Members
- Grant Proposal Submission Form
- Project Goals + Timeline
- Project Budget
- Potential Impact
- Evaluation Plan
Innovation in Diversity & Inclusion Grant
Innovation in Diversity & Inclusion (IDI) Grant
The National Apartment Association (NAA) seeks to advance diversity and inclusion in the rental housing industry to inspire the next generation and strengthen those whom we work and exist to serve by offering the Innovation in Diversity Grant (IDI) to worthy organizations. NAA carefully considers each grant application it receives, seeking out organizations whose objectives align with the ideals set forth by NAA’s Diversity and Inclusion Vision Statement. The statement reads, "As the voice of the rental housing industry, NAA will model inclusion and embrace diverse backgrounds and perspectives to those with whom we work and exist to serve."
NAA will award grants to member associations, property management firms, supplier partners, and related organizations that have innovative ideas and will provide meaningful contributions to our industry. Grants should reflect NAA's dedication to encouraging a workforce environment that is inclusive, supportive, and rich in diversity. NAA’s total pool of funds for the Innovation in Diversity and Inclusion (IDI) Grant is $25,000 per fiscal year.
- There is no maximum or minimum number of requests, applications must be submitted from current NAA members in good standing.
- Applicant proposals must be for funding initiatives that support the rental housing industry.
- Applicants’ organizations must reside in the United States.
- Funds must be used within a year of receiving the grant.
- Grant recipients are expected to share their experience with members of the National Apartment Association through units articles and events.
- Upon conclusion of project, grant recipients are required to submit a final report by November 1, 2021, and present to the NAA Board of Directors at the Assembly of Delegates Meeting. This report must include a description of who participated in the project, a brief assessment of the outcomes (intended and unintended), evaluation plan, financial record outlining all expenditures, and future plans for advancing diversity and inclusion in the rental housing industry.
The National Apartment Association will not consider requests for:
- Support to individuals
- Sponsorship for international activities
- Existing programs that have already been implemented
- Private organizations whose aim is to generate a financial surplus
- Colleges and universities seeking endowments funds
- Support to travel or conference-related events
January 6, 2020: Applications Open
August 31, 2020: Applications due
September 15- October 15, 2020: Application Review & Interviews Conducted (if needed)
November 4-7, 2020: NAA's Board of Directors Approves Final Awardees
November 13, 2020: Applicants Notified
December 20, 2020: Funds Will Be Disbursed to Awardees
NAA is accepting applications that fall into the three main areas of focus below. All ideas are welcomed.
Culture Diversity and Awareness in Education
NAA is committed to funding education programs and activities that are designed to advance a diverse and inclusive environment at their organization. Example education programs:
- Educational programs specific to improving diversity, inclusion, awareness within your organization.
NAA supports proposals that seek to increase the overall diversity among leadership and boards within their organization. Example leadership programs:
- Creating leadership tracks and programming for minorities within your organization:
- Mentor programs
- Manager in training
- Executive in training
Diversity & Inclusion Projects
NAA supports projects that aim to increase underrepresented groups at all levels of the rental housing industry. Example projects:
- Internal scholarship programs targeted towards minorities within your organization.
- Creating better hiring practices to eliminate racial and gender bias within your organization.
Members of NAA’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee will review all applications submitted for the IDI grant. Applications will be evaluated based on completeness of application, significant impact with measurable outcomes, detailed budget, program timeline, and support of NAA’s Diversity & Inclusion vision. Interviews may be conducted with applicants for further vetting.