COVID-19 Information for Ohio
The purpose of this page is to provide apartment industry professionals with an overview of the issues affecting our industry with regard to the COVID-19 pandemic. The page is intended for informational purposes only and does not constitute, and should not be construed as, legal advice. This resource is not intended to provide a mandatory standard of care for the industry.
State and Local Affiliates
Please remember to use your state or local apartment association as the primary resource for the most up-to-date information on your responsibilities. Find your local affiliate.
- Columbus Apartment Association
- Greater Cincinnati Northern Kentucky Apartment Association
- Greater Dayton Apartment Association
- Northern Ohio Apartment Association
State Legal and Regulatory Information
We highly suggest you contact a local attorney before you decide to initiate an eviction action against a resident in the current environment as overlaying federal, state and county laws or restrictions on the judicial process may apply. This includes: issuing a notice to vacate, initiating any eviction-related action, or assessing fees or penalties on residents for nonpayment of rent or other lease violations. In addition to the below, you can access NAA's statutory information on late fees, eviction laws and other policy issues.
Shelter in Place
The Shelter-in-Place Order in Ohio is currently set to expire on Friday, May 1, 2020. That Order closes all non-essential businesses and requires all residents to stay at home except for non-essential activities. The Governor has made an announcement that the Order will not be extended and the state will begin to reopen the economy.
State of Emergency
Governor Mike DeWine declared a state of emergency on March 9.
- Action: The Supreme Court of Ohio tolled all court deadlines until the earlier of the end of the emergency or 7/30/20. The court also issued guidance (as opposed to an order) to local courts that suggested courts could temporarily continue eviction filings, pending eviction proceedings, scheduled move-outs, and the execution of foreclosure judgements (except in the instances where allegations of domestic violence are involved). However, the determination of how to restrict access to the court is left to local jurisdiction.
Duration: Through July 30th.
Rental Assistance/Housing Provider Assistance
No statewide emergency rental assistance for Ohio.
No rent freeze is in effect at the state or local level. There is no statute preempting local rent regulation.
Ohio does not have statutory language regulating price gouging during declarations of emergency