COVID-19 Media Guidance
Jump to a section
NAA recommends that incoming media requests be directed to CDC and/or local health officials, who are better qualified to answer their questions at this time. You don’t want to be at risk with liability concerns.
Ensure your office has proper contact information of the local health authority and/or the best CDC resources on hand for handling queries from local stakeholders.
NAA recommends a holding statement be developed. An example: "We appreciate your call. It is wise for everyone to remain current and follow the most recent guidance provided by health officials. That is why we request that you direct your question to [Local Health Official] or the CDC, who are on top of this situation."
Other Key Messages to Consider
NAA recommends that guidance from CDC and other officials be treated seriously. At present, CDC prevention information includes:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds. If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue away.
- Frequently clean and disinfect touched objects and surfaces.
NAA encourages all members and affiliates to monitor the situation and stay current with advice from CDC and public health officials.
- May 21 - Washington Post - How to optimize your virtual touring experience
- May 14 - Fox28 (Columbus) - Ohio's pools can reopen on May 26, if they meet safety guidelines
- May 13 - Thomson Reuters Foundation - Cancel or strike: Pressure mounts to help U.S. renters amid coronavirus
- May 12 - Bloomberg Businessweek - If Landlords Get Wiped Out, Wall Street Wins, Not Renters
- May 12 - WUSA 9 (CBS, Washington, D.C.) - VERIFY: Can your Virginia apartment complex require you to wear a mask in common areas?
- May 11 - The Washington Post - The long-term impact of unpaid rent
- May 11 - International Business Times - One-Fifth Of U.S. Apartment Dwellers Did Not Pay Their May Rents, But That's An Improvement From April
- May 11 - Yahoo Finance - One-fifth of Americans missed rent payments in May
- May 9 - Fox News - Renters struggle to pay amid economic fallout
- May 8 - CNBC - Can’t pay your rent? Here’s what you should do
- May - Dayton Daily News - Dayton-area apartment demand hurt by COVID-19. Will it recover?
- May 3 - CNN Business - Landlords are bracing for a wave of rent defaults
- May 1 - Forbes - May 1 Rent Strike Through The Lens of Organizers, Landlords And Industry Leaders
- May 1 - Inside Higher Ed - Stuck With Off-Campus Housing
- April 30 - Fox Business - May rent strike planned as coronavirus cripples US economy
- April 30 - Business Insider - Tenants in the US are planning the largest rent strike in decades as the coronavirus cuts off more than 30 million people from their incomes
- April 29 - NBC News - 'Survival': Tenants, landlords brace for largest rent strike in decades
- April 29 - Forbes - Home Buying, Selling and Renting in May: Here Is What To Expect As The Country Enters Its Third Month Of The COVID-19 Pandemic
- April 28 - KOMO News (Seattle ABC Affiliate) - Tenants, city officials calling for 'rent strike' as May payment date looms
- April 27 - Scripps Media - Government programs aim to help renters, homeowners make payments amid pandemic
- April 22 - Real Simple - How to Move Homes Safely Amid Coronavirus If You Absolutely Have To
- April 21 - Forbes - Pandemic Is A Worsening Threat to the Rental Housing Market
- April 21 - WCJB 20 (ABC, Gainesville, FL) - Rent strike in the works
- April 17 - Houston Chronicle - Tomlinson: During COVID-19, landlords need a break, too
- April 17 - KOLD News 13 (Tucson, AZ) - Fact Finders: Does a landlord have to tell you about a neighbor's positive case?
- April 16 - Bisnow - What CRE Has On Its Wish List for the Next Coronavirus Stimulus Package
- April 15 - Wall Street Journal - Out of Work Apartment Tenants Putting Monthly Rent on Plastic
- April 15 - Bisnow - How Property Managers Are Dealing With Tenants Forced to Stay Home
- April 14 - Realtor.com - 8 Questions to Ask As You Search for an Apartment During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- April 11 - Forbes - Apartment Industry Urges SBA, Treasury to Close Paycheck Protection Loophole
- April 8 - The Dallas Morning News - Should HOAs and ask if you have COVID-19? Should you tell them?
- April 7 - Washington Post - 5 ways to connect with neighbors during the coronavirus outbreak
- April 7 - Multi-Housing News - Addressing New Challenges in the COVID-19 Era
- April 7 - Forbes - Apartment Industry Calls On Congress to Provide More Support to Renters, Rental Operators
- April 3 - Chicago Tribune - Should you tell your landlord if you have coronavirus?
- April 3 - Up for Growth - After the CARES Act, What's Next for Housing?
- April 2 - The Hill - Renters fear eviction in the wake of coronavirus
- April 1 - NPR - It's The 1st Of The Month. Renters Are In A Much Tougher Spot Than Homeowners
- March 31 - Forbes - Rent Strike: What Happens If You Don't Pay Rent on April 1 Because of the Coronavirus
- March 31 - NBC News/MSN - Rent's Due. Now what? Experts warn a housing crisis shadows the health crisis
- March 31 - USA Today - Worried about paying rent on April 1? What states are doing, and not doing, to help
- March 30 - Housing Wire - How will the $2 trillion federal rescue package impact multifamily housing?
- March 30 - Forbes - With Rent Soon Due, Apartment Industry Already Copes With Coronavirus Effects
- March 26 - Multi-Housing News - How to Handle Coronavirus-Related Rent Issues
- March 25 - Washington Post - Slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus in an apartment community
- March 20 - Fox Business - How coronavirus disruption could impact multifamily landlords, lenders
- March 20 - KALB-TV (NBC affiliate, Alexandria, La.) - Prevent the spread of COVID-19 at apartments
- March 18 - New York Times - Racing to head off evictions and foreclosures
- March 17 - Forbes - National Apartment Association Issues Guidance To Stem The Spread Of Coronavirus
- March 13 - CNN - What to do if there's a coronavirus case in your neighborhood or apartment building