Unless you’re cramming for Jeopardy, have a photographic memory or just like random factoids and can remember them to win a bar bet, you likely believe some pretty common myths. A few common myths people take as fact are:
1. What came first, the chicken or the egg?
2. What are the chances of a coin landing on heads?
3. How much does a cloud weigh?
You may not even be aware these are actually myths and not just idle bar conversation. Either way, you think you know the answers, don’t you?
According to "The Second Book of General Ignorance", written by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson, the answers may surprise you. Below, in order, are the real answers.
1. What came first, the chicken or the egg? Per the theory of evolution, it would be the egg. As birds evolved from reptiles, the first bird likely came from an egg laid by a reptile.
2. What are the chances of a coin landing on heads? Did you say 50/50? Nope. Per Stanford students researching thousands of coin tosses, the chances are approximately 51/49 – if a coin starts out heads up, it’s more likely to land on heads.
3. How much does a cloud weigh? Short answer: A lot. Approximately 100 elephants for an average cumulus cloud, per the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, CO. Storm clouds could weigh as much as 200,000 elephants!
This is a lead-in for you to challenge other myths you may hold to be true – especially the myths that limit the opportunities for your property. I challenge your common knowledge about corporate housing and invite you to join us in our session, Dispelling the Myths . . . Corporate Housing as an Amenity on Friday, June 21 at 9:45 a.m. at #NAAEduConf.
Join Sue Ansel, Gables Residential, Tracy Hayes, GMS, CCHP,GMS, CWS Corporate Housing, and Lisa Young, MultifamilyZone and me as we dispel such commonly held myths as “we can offer our own furnished apartment program that is the same thing . . . “
Corporate housing is, in fact, both a product and a service. Providing the product (a furnished apartment) is easier than providing the service (everything else that someone needs to make their time at your property successful). Join us in San Diego in June so we can give you the facts to make your corporate housing program and partnerships as successful as we know they can be!
Check out this post for more facts to irritate your coworkers today.