What is a Continuing Education Credit (CEC)?
A CEC is one hour of continuing education with meals and breaks excluded. All CECs required for the renewal period must be earned the previous year. For example, for the 2014 renewal you will report CECs earned during 2013. CECs earned in 2012 will be not accepted.
Continuing education credits are needed for all NAAEI designations that require annual renewal and are required to maintain AIME membership. This includes CAM, NALP, CAPS, CAS and AIME. If you are unsure of the amount you need, check on your renewal invoice. Please submit the entire number of CECs required in one submission to ensure that your CECs are recorded accurately.
- CAM - 6 CECs annually
- NALP - 3 CECs annually
- CAPS - 6 CECs annually
- CAS - 3 CECs annually
- AIME - 3 CECs annually
Individuals who hold mutliple NAAEI designations may use the same CECs for renewal of all designations and AIME. The total number of CECs that you must report is indicated on your invoice. For example, if you have a CAM and NALP designation, you would owe 6 CECs annually.
At least half of your CECs MUST be from the following sources:
- NAA Conference sessions (live or recorded)
- Any course or seminar offered by the NAA, NAAEI or your local NAA affiliated apartment association
- Serving on an NAA, NAAEI or local apartment association board or committee (1 CEC per board or committee and a maximum of 3 used per year)
- Participation in an apartment industry legislative event (each event counts for 1 CEC)
- Volunteering to instruct NAA, NAAEI or NAA affiliate courses without compensation (maximum of 3 CECs per year)
Help! I need CECs from the NAA, NAAEI or my local or state Apartment Association
See your options from NAA, NAAEI, state and local Apartment Association education.
A maximum of half of your required CECs may come from:
- Accredited college or university courses
- Education programs from national housing organizations (For example: NAHMA or IREM)
- Courses, seminars or workshops approved by your State Real Estate Board or Commission
- Serving on boards, committees, commissions and task forces related to the housing industry
- Volunteering to instruct apartment industry courses (without compensation)
- Writing an original article published in an apartment industry publication (without compensation)
- Corporate in-house training - For example: Classroom or online training required or offered through your company.
- Any courses, seminars or trainings that do not meet the criteria listed in the two sections above.
- CECs earned more than one year prior to the year you are renewing. For example, for the 2014 renewal only CECs earned during 2013 will be accepted.
- Grace Hill online courses are not accepted for credit unless you purchased your Grace Hill courses through your local apartment association's website.
- Certificates of course completion
- Transcript or exam results
- Receipt or confirmation of payment for a program
- A CEC reporting form signed by affiliate apartment association staff
Civic Service, Writing & Instruction or Training Activities
- Copy of page in directory or newsletter listing board and committee members
- Copy of letter sent to designate to confirm board or committee appointment
- Copy of published article
- Copy of promotional piece listing course description, instructor and contact hours
- Copy of letter sent to confirm instruction or training assignment